Tue 16 Aug 11
Image by NMIT Photoimaging student Andrew Duncan
Photography students from NMIT have been successful in winning a large number of awards in this year’s Australian Professional Photography Awards. Sponsored by Canon Australia, this years event was held from 24th – 26th June 2011 Darling Harbour, Sydney.
Organized by the Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP), the Australian Professional Photography Awards (APPA) are held annually and usually coincide with the staging of an annual photo imaging exhibition organized by the Photo Imaging Council of Australia (PICA). The awards alternate between Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
Professional photographers from Australia and New Zealand compete for a number of industry awards by submitting up to four images, (3 images for students) which are judged by a panel of their peers. The Canon AIPP APPA attracts hundreds of entries and the premier award is the title of “The Canon AIPP Australian Professional Photographer of the Year”. Each year award winning images are published in an Awards Book.
Many Tertiary Institutes and their students participate in these awards. The exciting aspect is that their work is judged in several categories at the same standard as all professional photographer’s work. The judges do not know if the prints are student or professional work.
Image by NMIT Photoimaging student Tisheng Tan
Prints are scored by a panel of photographic industry judges. Prints scores will achieve the following :
- 80 - 85 Silver award
- 86 - 90 Silver Distinction award
- 90 - 95 Gold award
- 96 - 100 Gold Dinstinction award
NMIT Diploma of Photoimaging students won a large number of awards in 2011.
- Anita Simonis - Gold award
- Alice Laidlaw - Silver distinction award and 2X silver awards
- Tisheng Tan - Silver distinction award
- Cassie Sullivan - Silver distinction award
- Anthony Mammone - silver distinction award
- David Morton - Silver distinction, silver award
- Rudi Karpati - Silver award
- Sophie Costello - 2X silver awards
- Natalie Morawski - 2X silver awards
- Katy Filomenko - 2X silver awards
- Kon Eleftheria - 2X silver awards
- Spiros Spirou - 2X silver awards
- Stephanie Barlow - 2X silver awards
- Rod Donald - 2X silver awards
- Joel Rainford - 2X silver awards
- Jessie McKinnon - silver award
- Martin Bennet - silver award
- Andrew Duncan - silver award
- Brennen Barry - silver award
- Arrayah Lloynd - silver award
- Jean Roland Bergiecourt - silver award
- Chris White - silver award
- Craig George - silver award
Image by NMIT Photoimaging student Joel Rainford
Canon APPA Tertiary Institute of the year runnerup
Although we were not successful this year at winning the Tertiary institute of the year award, we did achieve the very strong official position of runner up. A testament to the quality of entries from NMIT’s Photoimaging course area.
A summary of the award category winners can be found at www.appa.aippblog.com
More information on the AIPP can be found at www.aipp.com.au
Image by NMIT Photoimaging student Spiros Spirou